Friday, May 28, 2010

a strangers face

This weekend is Memorial weekend and I am so looking forward to going to the lake!  Here is a picture of Josh and I last year (I think) of us with our friends Dan & Katie - who we miss very much! 
Memorial Day means a lot to me.  I grew up going to our cabin in South Dakota (where my dad grew up) for Memorial Day but it is 5 hours away so we usually don't go there unless we are staying for more than 4 or 5 days now.  We would go to a service on Memorial Day dedicated to those who serve/have served our country.  My grandpa was in WWII and died when I was very young so I always loved that service and I miss going.  I always get emotional standing outside by the many flags that are lined up, wearing our red poppies, listening to Taps (which gets me every time regardless of where/when I hear it), and waiting for the retired veterans to shoot off their guns.  We would then go and look for the flag with my Grandpa's name on it.  There is so much respect and honor (well deserved) that goes into those services that are dedicated to our troops, it is definitely an emotional day (which I realize is more than a day for those in military families). 

You can tell by looking at a stranger's face how long it has been since their loved one has passed.  There is so much anguish and heartache in the faces that are enduring that raw pain.  Then there are the ones who have tears in their eyes but HOPE all over their faces.  They have endured this uncertain road and want to reach out to those that are hurting.  I have the utmost respect for any solider along with their families.  Every time I see a solider in uniform I pray for them and would love to give them a big hug to thank them but don't want to come off weird and crazy :).  So if you have a father, mother, husband, wife, son, daughter, or friend who has served, currently serving, or who has given their life for my freedom, I am forever grateful.  I will be praying for all of you on Memorial Day and especially when I see anyone in uniform.  Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.  I appreciate it more than I will ever be able to say.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Memorial Day weekend! 

Angie

1 comment:

  1. SD sounds so wonderful right now! It is almost 95 degrees with humidity about as high! I do hope you enjoy your weekend! :D Amen on the prayers. This Monday is a special day, my family being in the Air-Force and my grandfather serving in the Wars, it means so much to me, to continue praying!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your sweet comments!